I was selected for this sponsored post by Hay There Social Media. All opinions expressed are my own.
I love books and reading and I know how important reading is for both children and adults. Books can be expensive though and that it why I am a huge advocate for using your local library. However, kids especially love to have books that they can own and read again and again That is why I was excited to learn about Bookstock. It is a huge book sale that benefits non-profits in Michigan. Books at a great price and helping out those in need. That is a win/ win in my book!
WHAT IS BOOKSTOCK?
Bookstock is an annual, non-profit used book and media sale. All merchandise sold comes from donations and all workers and organizers are volunteers. Proceeds are donated to non-profit organizations and merchandise remaining after the sale is donated to area non-profit organizations and schools.
100,000 ITEMS! Pre-sorted books and merchandise
- Current fiction, children’s books, biographies, cookbooks
- Records and CD’s
- DVD’s and Videos
- Books on tape
- Dozens of Categories
WHEN IS THE SALE?
April 27 to May 4, 2014
- Pre-sale: Sunday, 8:15 a.m. — 11 a.m. $20 entry fee for first shot at the books. Buy your pre-sale admission ticket here.
- During regular sale hours, admission is FREE!
- Sale Hours:
- Sunday: 11 a.m. — 6 p.m.
- Monday-Saturday: 10 a.m. — 9 p.m.
- Sunday: 11 a.m. — 6 p.m.
- Most books cost between $1 — $4.
Laurel Park Place
37700 W. 6 Mile Road
(1/4 mile east of I-275)
SPECIAL PRICING DAYS:
This year, Bookstock will feature five days of special sales:
- Monday Madness — Monday, April 28: One lucky buyer will receive a $500 gift card and 750 shoppers will receive spectacular giveaways.
- Teacher Appreciation Day — Tuesday, April 29: Bookstock is celebrating teachers by giving 50 percent off to all teachers with a valid ID, from 3 — 9 p.m. At 5 p.m. Bookstock B.E.S.T.* Awards, (Bookstock Extraordinary Student/School/Teacher) will be presented to fourth grade students from Detroit Public Schools who best describe how “My Favorite Book…and Why.” Awards will be presented by a Local 4 News personality and cash prizes will be given to five students, their teachers and their schools.
- Bookbuster Special Days — Wednesday, April 30 and Thursday, May 1: Buy 3 books and get the 4th book *free (*least expensive item), from 3 — 9 p.m. Spend $25 or more and be entered in a special drawing for a football signed by Detroit Lions Quarterback Matthew Staffrord or an exciting sports collectible.
- Half Price Finale — Sunday, May 4: All remaining books and media will be sold for half price!
Bookstock is brought to the community by the Jewish Community Relations Council, and a consortium of communal non-profit organizations that support education and literacy projects throughout metro Detroit.
WHAT BENEFITS DOES BOOKSTOCK GENERATE?
Bookstock benefits the entire community by recycling gently used books and media and then offering them for sale at value prices. Most books and media range in price from $1-$4, although there are “special selections” (more valuable books) at various price points. This is a great chance to stock up on books at amazing prices!
Plus this is a cause you can get behind. In 12 years, Bookstock has donated just shy of $1,000,000 to non-profit organizations in Detroit and the metro area, including those comprising its coalition. Additionally, Bookstock donates large quantities of unsold books to other non-profit organizations and schools. For example, the Salvation Army receives the bulk of the remaining books and media. Bookstock also underwrites a scholarship at the Wayne State University School of Library Science and supports the Bookstock Fund, a literacy fund that provides micro-grants to enhance literacy and learning in Detroit and the metro area.
Learn How to Save Time & Money This Holiday Season
Want to enjoy the holidays more this year with less stress?
Sign up for our free email class which will help you save time and money AND reduce holiday stress. We will help you with planning and savings tips plus gift ideas for everyone on your list. The free class starts November 1st but you can sign up today!