There is so much activity and stimulation at Christmas time that your kids can easily get overwhelmed. This Calming Homemade Christmas Play Dough Recipe is fun to play with and has the added benefit of calming. It is so easy that the kids can help make it plus play with it!
I used the Lavender Essential Oil from my Young Living Starter Kit. This is a great way to get started with essential oils and I even have some bonus items when you purchase through me. Learn more about Young Living Essential Oils here.
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- Green food coloring
- 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of fine silver, green, or white glitter
- Heat the water in a microwave safe cup until it is boiling.
- Combine your dry ingredients, with the exception of the food coloring, in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Add in the boiling water and oil. Continue to mix.
- Continue to stir the mixture well until a paste forms. If the paste is sticky, you can sprinkle in flour a teaspoon at a time until the stickiness is gone.
- Your play dough can now be colored. Add a few drops of green food coloring to the dough. Continue kneading until the color is distributed.
- Sprinkle in the teaspoon of glitter. Knead the dough well so it distributes.
- This play dough can be stored in an air tight container or zip lock bag where it will keep for
- weeks. You can also add additional drops of essential oil as time goes on to freshen up the smell and calming properties.
Subscribe to the News
Like what you see here? Be sure to sign up to get the latest right in your inbox.