Chalkboards are such a staple piece in my kitchen and they’re perfect for menu planning, notes, important dates and more. I love to keep a certain style in my kitchen and haven’t been able to find the right chalkboard so I decided to create my own using a gorgeous Paper Mache board, chalkboard paint and a paint brush. This entire project cost under $5 to complete and I’m in love!
Here is how to make your own cute and easy DIY Chalkboard Menu Board or Meal Planner
– Paper Mache Shape (Found at Hobby Lobby for $1.99)
– Martha Stewart Chalkboard Paint (Found at Michaels $2.99)
– Paint Brush (Found at Dollar Tree, a set of 3 for $1)
– Liquid Chalk or white chalk (Found at any craft store or on Amazon)
- Lay your Paper Mache piece on a layer of old newspapers, magazines, cardboard or anything to protect your flooring surface.
- Using your chalkboard paint start by painting the surface of your chalkboard and then cover the sides with chalkboard paint as well. Allow to dry for 15 minutes or so and apply another layer of chalkboard paint to the top and sides and allow it to dry for another 15 minutes.
- Once the entire board is dry take a piece of white chalk and using the side cover the entire board and then erase it with a dry eraser. This will prep the board for your chalk sayings, drawings, menu plans and more. I love to use liquid chalk because it gives a crisper and bolder appearance.
- Feel free to hang this board up and place whatever important information you want displayed in your home.
- Enjoy your fun new DIY Chalkboard Menu Board!
I love how this project is so easy and frugal too but makes a huge impact. You could easily create one for your kid’s room and leave the fun notes or reminders. You could put one in your mud room with things to do etc. There are so many places a chalkboard would be useful and cute in your home!
Don’t forget to sign up for our free daily emails so you are notified of the next easy craft or DIY project we feature and more!