This post brought to you by Visit Gulf County. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Everyday Savvy.
Looking for a trip for your adventurous and outdoor loving family? You should consider Gulf County, Florida which is full of lots of outdoor activities and adventure. You can escape the traffic, cold weather and snow and simply follow the sunshine to beautiful Gulf County. Our family loves to try new things and my girls love animals so many of these activities would be perfect for us. I am adding Gulf County to our list of possible destinations for upcoming trips. Here are my top 6 reasons my family would love to visit but be sure to check out the Gulf County Adventure Guide to learn even more!
1. Watch the Dolphin Parade – Getting to see dolphins is always a huge treat. A family happened to be up early one day in Gulf County and they saw a pod of dolphins playing and chasing a school of fish. They were so close to shore, they could see them from the deck that day. After that, they got up early so they could walk down and see them from the beach. They loved the “dolphin parade” and watched them swim by every day. My girls would LOVE that!
2. Kayak in the Great Outdoors Through the Dead Lakes – There are guided tours available and you can kayak 100 times during the summer and always see something different. The Dead Lakes get their name from the Cypress and Tupelo trees that stand in the water. When the water is low, you can see the stumps rising out of the swamp. It’s like nothing you’ve seen before. People don’t know what you’re talking about and then they have an “aha” moment when they paddle around the shallows in the South Flats. The stumps are so concentrated; it’s like being on another planet. If you go out early in the morning in April, the birds are all coming into nest and other critters are just showing up. The fog comes off the water. It’s very still, where you feel like you’re in the wilderness.
3. Horseback Riding on the Beach – This is a fun adventure you can’t have just anywhere. It is a beautiful adventure for kids and adults alike. Early evening is the best time to go because you see the sunset over the Cape. I think this could be a highlight of any family trip.
4. Take a Ride or Walk on the Loggerhead Run Bike Path – This is an eight mile trail on Cape San Blas that runs the length of the Cape from St. Joseph Peninsula State Park to Salinas Park along Hwy 30E/Cape San Blas Road, and is great for walking, jogging or biking. Who can resist a little bit of exercise when the backdrop is St. Joseph Bay? I always love family bike rides especially in such a beautiful locale.
5. Try your Hand at Scalloping – This is a fun activity the entire family can enjoy. It’s easy for beginners and doesn’t require much more than a saltwater fishing license and a mandatory dive flag. A mask and snorkel, gliding over the grass beds in 2-3 foot deep water is the preferred method. If it isn’t scalloping season you can snorkel. Scallop and snorkeling group trips are available at Port St. Joe Marina, and many small charter operators take private trips.
6 – Go on an Ecotour with Captain Charlene from About Fun Charters. – You will tour St. Joseph Bay at sunset and see birds, fish, sea life and the resident dolphin – Danny. Or is it Dolly? They aren’t sure. These Ecotours are not structured. Each day is a different day on the Bay so she doesn’t force a structured program. It’s an adventure that is helped by Captain Charlene’s Master’s degree in Marine Biology and her Green Guide certification. This sound like a great time plus everyone learns a bit along the way which is my favorite type of vacation.
Gulf County has a great giveaway going on right now that can help you save on any of these adventures. They are giving away a $50 gift card to 10 lucky winners per week and the contest runs from 3/16/15-4/13/15. That is a bunch of winners and one could be you! All you have to do to try your luck is enter below by clicking $50 tell me more. Good luck!
Subscribe to the News
Like what you see here? Be sure to sign up to get the latest right in your inbox.