Summer is bearing down on us and it’s time to start getting everything in order for entertaining and of course winding up tax season. Let’s work our way through the office (or at least the office area), the bedroom, bathroom, and end up outdoors to polish up the living space we will likely be spending a lot of time in for the next several months. This is my favorite time of year and updating and cleaning will make downtime much more enjoyable.
Take it one small task at a time throughout the year with our series and you can tackle it all easily! We want to help you clean and organize your home the way that works best for you!
Most tasks should take 15 – 30 minutes. If it works for you do each task on the corresponding date, if not just use it as a list of tasks, some days you may get more than one done. You may wish to take off the weekend and double up on weekdays or vice versa. I want you to be successful so do what works best for you.
My friend’s over at Grove Collective made a special Spring Cleaning Offer for my readers with Mrs. Meyer’s is featuring three limited-edition scents for spring.
You can try the scents for yourself FREE from Grove Collaborative when you place your first order of $20 using my link.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring hand soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring dish soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s Spring multi-surface spray
- Grove Collaborative bubble-up brush
- Grove Collaborative walnut scrubber sponges
Existing customers will get free Grove walnut scrubber sponges, which are perfect for all your spring cleaning.
It is so handy to have cleaning products come right to your doorstep and they make it easy to cancel auto shipments so you can just order whenever you want or you can easily cancel.
Sign up to get your free Clean and Organize List for Every Month This Year
Be sure to see the full list and helpful hints below the printable sign up!
Here is the full list of tasks with some links to tools that will help!
In the office…
1. Give your desk drawers a good end of tax season purging- If you don’t have a lot of time just spend 5 minutes on each drawer making quick decisions on what stays, goes, and reorganizing.
2 . Shred paperwork and bills you no longer need- Invest in an inexpensive shredder or you could also rip them up a bit and burn them in your fireplace/firepit.
3. Go through your email – Unsubscribe from at least 5 things to clean up that inbox, try doing this once each week for the month and you will have it cleaned up in no time.
4. Blow out keyboard- Hit the tower, printer, and any other electronics in the room with compressed air to keep your computer in top working shape.
5. Sort through pens and pencils on the desk-Toss out any that are no longer functional, a quick scratch on a piece of scrap paper will tell you if they are working.
6. Finish sorting and filing last-minute tax documents- Papers and receipts can be put in the tickler file, the last several years of returns can be stored away.
7. Swap out winter shoes for lighter ones- Make way for tennis shoes, sandals, and strappy heels in your closet.
8. Grab a garbage bag, set a timer for 10 minutes- Make a quick sweep through the house filling it with items to donate- hit the closet, kitchen cabinets, wherever you need to purge.
9. Change your bed linens for lighter- No only is it nice to use spring weights in warmer weather bright or clean colors add a touch of spring to your room.
10. Wash and store heavy throws in the living room- Add a few light ones in spring shades
11. Spray shower tile well with cleaner/mildew remover- Wait 15 minutes, then rinse well. Repeat if there are tough spots that are not coming clean.
12. Clean out your makeup- Toss old or broken makeup, treat yourself to a new bronzer or another item for your summer makeup bag.
13. Go through your purse- Purge out unnecessary items, swap out for a pretty spring/summer bag.
14. Replenish guest toiletries in bathroom and guest room- Make a nice basket under the sink with travel or full-size shampoo, soaps, razors, etc. In the guest room leave lotions, sprays, and other creature comforts for visitors.
15. Take 10 minutes and go through toiletries- Toss out nearly empty shampoo bottles, out of date creams, etc.
16. Toss ice, lemon peels, and baking soda in garbage disposal- Run it through a cycle, this task is best repeated monthly to sanitize and sharpen blades.
17. Spend 15 minutes playing with your kids- Help them choose 5 toys to donate to charity or toss out.
18. Go through board games- Toss out those with missing pieces, donate no longer used ones.
19. Descale coffee pot with vinegar- Run several water cycles through to rinse well afterwards.
20. Change out air/heat filters-Replace them with good new hepa air filters. Consider calling in a professional to check and service your system before the hot season.
21. Grab a cleaning cloth – Wipe down all interior doors and doorknobs, don’t forget the trim ledge above!
22. Clean oven- Spray with cleaner, leave overnight and wipe it out in the morning.
23. Do a quick walk through in your garage- clear out empty paint cans, oil bottles, etc.. Be sure to dispose of them properly, items like this can’t just be thrown in the trash. Your local dump usually has areas for such items and they can process them the right way.
24. Fertilize- Add fertilizer and grass seed to your lawn with a spreader or by hand if it’s a small space.
25. Go through outdoor equipment-Bikes, balls, swing sets, etc… and make necessary repairs or toss items out.
26. Clean leaves and other debris from your ac’s evaporator/condenser- Turn power off at the breaker and give it a rinse with the hose as well.
27. Give the kids outdoor toys some attention- Spray with bleach let it sit 10 minutes, hose clean. Items like playhouses, sandboxes, and other large items tend to get dirty and often covered in mold from sitting outdoors. Looking for some more fun outdoor toy for kids check them out here.
28. Start packing up spring/Easter items in storage- The end of the month is a good time to start packing these items back in storage to get ready for summer time.
29. Pull out your stored patio cushions- Give patio furniture a good scrubbing, replace cushions that need it, and reset your outdoor sitting areas.
30. Place 1/2 dozen pretty new plants in the ground- Or in containers to brighten your yard. Annuals from home improvement stores or your local nursery are cheap and add a pop of color to the yard.
More great info here
Clean & Organize 2020
Need help getting your home clean & organized this year?
Sign up for the monthly printable with tasks to help you clean & organize in 2020!