We are in the final weeks of spring and headed hard and fast towards summer! Time for vacations, leisure time, and all that summer brings. Let’s get the house ready for summer guests and summer activities that you can enjoy guilt-free because you are working so hard to clean and organize your home!
Kids will be out of school before you know it so we are going to focus on getting their spaces decluttered and ready for a technology light summer- indoors and out! This list will help you get ready for summer!
Take it one small task at a time throughout the year with our series and you can tackle it all easily! We want to help you clean and organize your home the way that works best for you! Before you know it you, will be ready for summer. Think how great it will be to enjoy summer without running around to make sure you have sunscreen and propane!
Most tasks should take 15 – 30 minutes. If it works for you do each task on the corresponding date, if not just use it as a list of tasks, some days you may get more than one done. You may wish to take off the weekend and double up on weekdays or vice versa. I want you to be successful so do what works best for you. We only gave you 28 tasks this month so you can catch up if need be. We know May is a busy month and we want you to be able to finish all the tasks and get ready for summer.
Sign up to get your free Clean and Organize List for Every Month This Year
Be sure to see the full list and helpful hints below the printable sign up!
Here is the full list of Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Summer tasks with some links to tools that will help!
Savvy Cleaning and Organizing May- Get Ready for Summer
- Sort through bathing suits- Check beach towels, and cover-ups, purge out what is no longer usable.
- Rotate the hanging clothes in the kids’ closet- It’s nearly time for school clothes to phase out for summer coming in, move these to the back and give hot weather clothes a prominent spot in the front.
- Go through kid’s art supplies- Toss out dried out markers, empty glue sticks, trash, etc… Put them in a lidded container that can easily be put on a shelf or under the bed out of the way. Need more art supplies? Check out these art kits for kids.
- Quickly go through kids’ dresser drawers– Pull out winter weight items if you have not already and donate or add to storage if they will fit next year.
- Fill one large lidded bin with toys- Put them up and rotate next month with a new box, keeping their toys fresh and interesting.
- Wipe closet doors inside and out- This will not only remove dust and fingerprints but it will help sanitize those germs that have been growing all throughout the sick season. Give the window sill a swipe too.
- Spray the room with sanitizing spray- pay close attention to doorknobs, lamps, and other hot spots.
- Dust fan/ light fixtures- Hit wooden blades with a wood cleaner to help repel the dust.
- Flip the mattress– wash pillows in hot water, add 1 cup baking soda to sanitize them. Put in the dryer with a tennis ball.
- Vacuum or sweep/mop– Be sure to get under the bed and dressers to gather up dust bunnies, toys, and those socks you have been looking for.
- Wipe down shelves- Give the dresser top and bedside tables a good wipe down as well with your favorite cleaner.
- Toss curtains and bedspread in the wash- Afterwards add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to promote sleep.
- Go through sock and underwear drawers- Toss worn out/ill-fitting or add them to the rag pile.
- Grab your bag or donation box- Make a dash through the house, add 10 items or more
- Scrub sliding glass door tracks- Give them a good cleaning with hot soapy water and a screwdriver wrapped in a rag. Run
- Check propane level or charcoal supply- Add it to your list if you need it, you don’t want to be caught without at your next impromptu cookout.
- Got a pool? Treat with some extra shock and clarifier if needed to get it ready for swimmers.
- Sort small outdoor toys – Items like jump ropes, sand toys, balls, water guns, etc…toss broken ones and put the rest in a nice basket.
- Wash and sanitize coolers- Items that have been stored away throughout fall and winter, especially if any moisture has been left inside are breeding grounds for bacteria. Check the drain for leaks.
- Check dates on sunblock- after sun care, and bug spray-toss out expired bottles. Add whatever needs to be restocked to your shopping list.
- Give sports equipment the once over- Purchase or make a nice large bin to hold them all in place- everything from tennis racquets to volleyballs.
- Pressure wash porch or patio- Wherever you will be entertaining the most. A hose with a high-pressure nozzle will also do the trick.
- Dress up the outdoors- Add a string or two of outdoor lights to your entertaining area to brighten up evening entertaining.
- Wash outdoor trash and recycling bins-Spray insides well with bleach or your other favorite cleaner, let sit and then rinse well.
- Weed around mailbox- Consider adding some flowers to the base to brighten it up or at least hit it with a weed eater.
- Put together a first aid kit- Toss it in the trunk of your car to keep you covered when you are on the go.
- Top off windshield fluid in your car- Add a new summer scented air freshener and empty out all the kids’ gear.
- Sweep off the front porch- But first, use the broom to knock down cobwebs and dirt from walls and ceiling.
Looking for some more fun outdoor toy for kids check them out here.
I hope this list helps you get ready for summer this year!
My friend’s over at Grove Collective made a special Cleaning Offer for my readers with Mrs. Meyer’s.
You can try the scents for yourself FREE from Grove Collaborative when you place your first order of $20 using my link.
Here’s what you’ll get:
- Mrs. Meyer’s hand soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap
- Mrs. Meyer’s multi-surface spray
- Grove Collaborative bubble-up brush
- Grove Collaborative walnut scrubber sponges
Existing customers will get free Grove walnut scrubber sponges, which are perfect for all your spring cleaning.
It is so handy to have cleaning products come right to your doorstep and they make it easy to cancel auto-shipments so you can just order whenever you want or you can easily cancel.
More great info here
Clean & Organize 2020
Need help getting your home clean & organized this year?
Sign up for the monthly printable with tasks to help you clean & organize in 2020!