Save Time & Money This Back To School Season
Did you know that families with school age children will spend an average of $630.36 on school supplies and apparel in 2015? Here is some great information and back to school savings tips to help you save time and some cash. I am all about saving money but sometimes I am will to spend a bit more if it saves me time.
- Shop at home before heading out to the store. You’re bound to discover all sorts of school supplies in perfectly good condition. I found binders, clipboards, scissors and rulers at home that we can reuse this year.
- When you do buy new, splurge on items that are high-quality and durable — you’ll end up saving money in the long run, even if the items are expensive up front. Read about some of my favorite Back To School Backpacks & Coupon Codes to Save on Them.
Save on School Supplies
- Let kids pick one splurge item. It is easier to stay to the list and budget when they get to pick out one fun item. – For example a pencil box, folder, etc.
- Shop sales weekly. As you are doing your regular shopping each week pick up the items that are on sale. Stores assume you will buy everything at once and then you only get some items at a discount.
- Buy enough to last all year and for home office and art supplies. These are the best prices you will see the whole year.
- Use price matching so you don’t have to run all around town to get the best prices. Here are all the details. How to Save on School Supplies by Price Matching.
- Check out the prices on larger vs smaller packs. Do you need 8 glue sticks between your children? You can split a multi pack. Be sure to check the sale prices though since sometimes it is actually cheaper to buy the smaller packs.
- Check out our Best School Supplies guide with some practical and durable school supplies.
Use Coupons on School Supplies and Clothing
- Before you ever shop online be sure to search for Online Coupon Codes
- There are printable, mobile and newspaper coupons for school supplies and you can search for Printable and Newspaper Coupons
Back To School Clothing
- I have ten great tips on How to Save on Back to School Clothes here.
- Save money & time with capsule wardrobes with mix and match outfits
Hope these tips help you save this year on back to school items!
Subscribe to the News
Like what you see here? Get free printables and tips! Be sure to sign up to get the latest right in your inbox.
Detroit Dads says
My sons go to the Berkley Schools, and they have a laundry list of things that they need to get for school. The way the school they’re in does it is that each kid has to buy a certain number of items and it goes into a “community” bin where any child can use it. On my 2nd grader’s list is 24 Ticonderoga Pencils — the most expensive ones out there. If all 28 kids in the class bring in two packs, the class will have 672 pencils! What class needs that many pencils? What happens to the left overs?
Last year, they still had over 12 unopened packs left, and the teacher gave them away!
Any suggestions for these types of lists and what to do when the supplies you buy never come back?
That is difficult. You could ask the teacher if all the supplies are neccessary and point out the total number of pencils. Maybe each child could only bring in 12 vs 24. As for other supplies I would just find the best prices and sales. You could also send in some of the supplies now and let the teacher know that you would be happy to send in more if they are needed throughout the year. It is hard because you don’t want to be “that parent” but who wants to spend more than needed? I am suprised she didn’t just save the pencils from last year to use this year instead of giving them away. Good luck!
Melissa Vera says
Thanks for these awesome tips. I am so happy that you shared this link on #HomeMattersParty and I hope you will come vack and share again.