This Home Holiday Checklist will help save you stress this December.
This is our final cleaning and organizing post for the year, I hope it has helped you get some things in order and taken some stress off you. We are going to finish up strong and enjoy the end of this year and look forward to a new year! We are working on Christmas preparation for your home (or the holiday you celebrate) You can repeat these daily quick cleaning and organizing tips again this next year to keep on top of those tasks that are sometimes forgotten!
Take it one small task at a time throughout the year with our series and you can tackle it all easily! We want to help you clean and organize your home the way that works best for you! We have been working on getting ready for the holidays that last few months and these final daily tasks should help you have less stress this holiday season.
Most tasks should take 15 – 30 minutes. If it works for you do each task on the corresponding date, if not just use it as a list of tasks, some days you may get more than one done. You may wish to take off the weekend and double up on weekdays or vice versa. I want you to be successful so do what works best for you. We only gave you 25 tasks this month so you can catch up if need be.
Sign up a the end of this article to get your free Clean and Organize List for Every Month This Year
December Savvy Cleaning and Organizing – Home Holiday Checklist
- Launder and put away fall linens and dishes– if you didn’t already at the end of November finish putting away out of season items.
- Make your list and check it twice– Maybe you are already done Christmas shopping, good for you! Take today off, if not make a list of what you have bought and what still needs to be picked up. Need gift ideas? Check out the list of gift ideas for all ages. You might want to pin this too since these gift ideas are great for birthdays and other holidays.
- Start a file for Christmas receipts– Doing this will help you keep track of your spending, make returns/exchanges easier, and keep your counter and desk clean.
- Dust off and polish the mantle– Let’s get it ready for those stockings and other decor items that will set the holiday mood.
- Sort through holiday decorations– As you bring out ornaments and other decor instead of repacking items you have not used in years set them aside for donations. Only keep those items you love and use.
- Wrap gifts as you bring them home– Doing this simple thing will keep your holiday from overwhelming you and keep your shopping and wrapping organized. If you have other items not wrapped yet, catch up today.
- Thin out your movie collection– While you’re bringing out the Christmas movies make sure all your dvds have case, toss the empty cases and scratched movies. Donate or place unloved ones in a yard sale box.
- Make a batch of holiday stove potpourri– Make up a mason jar of holiday scent to keep your house smelling festive throughout the entire season. Just grab distilled water and whatever you have on hand- orange or lemon slices, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, cloves, allspice, etc… Mix it up in the jar and keep it on hand. To use: pour some in a pot and simmer on low on the stove.
- Empty out your purse– Switch to a new winter color or wipe down the outside and inside with a damp cloth. Spray with cleaner and allow to air out overnight. Reorganize the contents.
- Purge in the kids’ rooms– Help the kids spend 15 minutes sorting toys- toss broken items choose at least 5 things to donate.
- Create your holiday dinner menu– Make a list of all items you need for the store, spend 15 minutes tidying up the pantry while you check off items on your shopping list.
- Water the Christmas Tree– If you haven’t been doing so, water the tree well. This will help keep pine needle droppings to a minimum and cut back on your work. Have an artificial tree, spend 15 minutes tidying a hot spot in your home.
- Create a Christmas morning basket– Batteries, tape, trash bags for wrapping paper, scissors, and tuck your camera in also so you are not scrambling for it last minute! If you don’t have extra batteries or trash bags on hand. Order them today so you don’t have to run out later.
- Stock the guest bathroom with plenty of fresh towels, toilet paper, and spray– Be sure that your bathroom is guest ready for any entertaining that you might do. Did you know that Amazon will deliver toilet paper right to your home and at a great price?
- Go through kitchen towels and pot holders– Toss worn out hand towels, pot holders, and rags. Pick up a pretty new set or two for the holidays.
- Freshen up the couch and chairs– Before holiday entertaining begins give your sitting areas a freshening up. Vacuum out under the cushion well and saturate cushions and throw pillows with fabric refresher.
- Wash all throw rugs throughout the house– Right before your holiday gatherings, washing them will add to the fresh clean smell in your home.
- Dust shelves, knick-knacks, books– Give all surfaces a quick but thorough dusting.
- Empty the fridge of leftovers, wipe down shelves– You are gonna have it stocked soon with all baking, leftovers, holiday drinks and more. Get it ready now!
- Add fresh flowers/greenery and candles to freshen up your decor– Not only do they add a wonderful scent but they are a simple way to make your home inviting and festive.
- Spend 20 minutes decluttering – Hit areas like kitchen counters, dressers, and other surfaces that seem to be a magnet for clutter.
- Freshen up the entryway– Welcome your guests with clean, bright, and festive entryway. Keep clutter to a minimum and add a touch of holiday decor.
- Clean out the oven, scrub off the stove top– Spray the oven and let it sit overnight, wipe it out well the next morning. Be sure to clean the top just as well.
- Clean and stock up the coffee/cocoa bar- Wipe down the coffee pot, stock up on creamers and coffee, and tidy it all up. Add a piece or two of holiday decor.
- Enjoy your holiday!
Hopefully by tackling a few things each day throughout the month. It will help make your home run more smoothly and help you enjoy your holidays more. It is amazing how just 15 minutes a day can make a HUGE impact! Don’t forget to sign up and we will email you free tasks lists for each month.
Be sure to check out more great info here to help with daily cleaning
Clean & Organize 2017
Need help getting your home clean & organized this year?
Sign up for the monthly printable with tasks to help you clean & organize in 2017!